Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year

Mike and I spent a lovely few days at Eliot Institute at Seabeck Conference Center.  Our theme speaker was Jack Gladstone, a troubadour from the Blackfoot Indian Nation who sang, told stories, and gently reminded us of how life for Native people has changed since the Doctrine of Discovery became the law of the land.  He linked his stories and music with the art of Charles Russell.  It was inspirational and educational.  He ended with his own words: "The purest gift is not of gold. But in the art that awakens the soul."  I am thinking of how much easier it has been for immigrants from European countries to come to this country than it has been for people of color.  I am pondering the forced immigration of the Africans and the now- prohibited immigration of Mexican farm-workers and other Central Americans who come here for a better life.

I am about to turn off my daily/real time e-mail on my WSU account.  I know it is an essential part of my sabbatical and will post the message on Monday.  Of all the challenges and gifts my sabbatical brings, I think this may be life changing.  I have been really wrapped in e-mail for a long time.  It is part of my career at WSU and I pride myself on being a good communicator via e-mail.  Now I will let go for awhile and pay attention to other things.

I will post some pictures of my quilts as I go.  This one is based on one piece of Japanese yukata.  The central block in each square comes from the same piece.  The message to me is that there are many ways to see the world.   What do you see?


New Year's Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment