Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sabbaticals, Seahawks and Super Bowls

I took a picture yesterday as I was coming home from the harbor that got me thinking about the process of planning my sabbatical.  I have been thinking about the picture since then.  Ironically, I was not feeling awfully well the last few days so I have been listening to 710 ESPN Sports Radio and endless talk with about the BIG game that my favorite team is playing tomorrow.  The image reminds me of the common ground that exists between planning and having a great sabbatical and planning and having a great football season.

Moving through the fog in Sunnyland.


Planning my sabbatical learning has and continues to be lots of work.  I have been more than persistent in making contacts in Arizona, California and New York City to visit scholars and programs.  The itinerary is becoming clearer.  I am also quite clear about my goal:  deepening my understanding of the impact immigration has on families (parent-child relationships. parenting decisions, youth vulnerability, etc.).  I liken the clear sunny street to the trip we will embark on next Sunday.  It looks predictable and safe.  Seeing Mt. Baker in the background, clear and sparkling reminds me of my goal.  I think the fog that is hanging over Lake Whatcom is akin to what I will be finding my way through as I visit people and programs on the journey.  How can I best understand and communicate that back to my colleagues and teams and how can we integrate nuggets of what works best into our work in Washington.    You are getting a sense of where this blog is going.

So what does all this have to do with the Seahawks and what they face this weekend and what they have faced all season?  I am a big fan of Pete Carroll whose approach to coaching inspires me as a leader and team member.  He believes in building on the strengths of each individual member of the team and then bringing them together in a shared vision of what they can do as a team.  They support each other.  I love that they surround their practices with music and practice mindfulness to stay centered.  I heard Pete being interviewed this morning about how the secret to their preparation is to get everyone to believe and play the way they know they can and at their best level.  They practice lots, and they understand as much about the other team that they can - but basically they plan to come out and play their game.  I think the fog in the picture above represents the journey they face on the field and what exactly the Patriots will look like and do when the whistle blows.  They do not know. One of the great thing I have learned from watching this team over the past few years is that they make adjustments in how they approach the other team.  We all know they are a second half team because they evaluate what is happening and adjust their approach at half-time and as the game progresses.  Wow.  What a lesson for me.  If I am not getting everything I think I need from this trip, and I have prepared to the best of my ability, then I will need to adjust as well. 

So tomorrow, I will be watching the BIG game with my "boys", husband Mike and son Ben and I will be looking for lessons for myself as I set out on my journey.

GO HAWKS!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment